Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Houston's" Couscous


I've been meaning to take a stab at Houston's couscous ever since I tried it as a side dish there about 2 years ago.  Since then I order it almost every time we go and it's always delicious!  John and I went to Houston's last weekend and I had the grilled salmon, steamed spinach and garlic, and the couscous and I remembered how much I loved it!  Filled with sweet ingredients like honey, mint, and golden raisins, it has a different, more cleansing and refreshing flavor than a lot of the more savory couscous concoctions that I typically whip up.

I bought the ingredients for this based on my memory alone, so I am sure there are components to the recipe that Houston's holds the secret to.  But this turned out pretty close! It's a great accompaniment to any grilled fish or chicken, or could even be beefed up to make a vegetarian main course with a simple side salad.

Houston's Couscous
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup dried couscous
2 1/2 cup water
6 - 8 radishes, sliced
4 - 6 small roma tomatoes, sliced into pieces to match the size of the radishes
1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup olive oil

Directions:
Bring water to a boil and stir in the couscous.  Cover and remove from heat for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.

Meanwhile, wash and chop all veggies.  Mix in large bowl with couscous.  Add the olive oil, honey, raisins, and salt and pepper to taste.  

Serve warm or at room temperature.




2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love Houston's! So glad you posted this recipe. Very cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are forgetting the green onions. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete