Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Peach Cherry Crumble




I promise I'm not trying to make this the desert blog, but for the time being that seems to be what I'm interested in cooking! We had my parents over for dinner on Sunday and it was very last minute - we decided around 9 p.m. the night before that they were coming over, and I had to work all day Sunday, so didn't have a lot of time to prep.  It's almost always more fun to keep it simple anyways!  We had these beautiful figs from our local farmer's market with cheese and crackers, and for the main course John made his easy and tasty turkey burgers.



I knew I wanted to make some sort of cobbler for dessert since we only have about 6 weeks of summer left and I haven't made very many fruit based desserts yet this year. (I'm usually more of a chocolate girl, but when in Rome...) So I used what I had on hand and came up with this Peach and Cherry Crumble, relying heavily on Gwyneth Paltrow's recipe from her new cookbook, My Father's Daughter. I liked the recipe a lot because there's not a lot of added sugar, it's simple and uses ingredients that you have on hand, and is really tasty! You can make this with any fruit - it doesn't have to be peaches and cherries - could be berries or apples, or any combination of a few. We served it with vanilla ice cream and we were all stuffed afterwards.  But it was a good stuffed, and I'm really glad I had time to make this summertime treat.  

So, quick! Before summer's over - go make this crumble with whatever fruit's on sale!

Peach Cherry Crumble
Serves 5
Ingredients
3 cups peaches, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup cherries, pitted and cut in half
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
ice cream

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare the fruit and place in a large bowl.  Combine with 1 tablespoon of flour and place in a 9" round pie pan.  (You could also use an 8x8 casserole dish).  Combine the remaining ingredients together in a mixing bowl, and use your hands to make pea sized crumbs.  Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, and even out with your hands.  Bake for about 45 minutes, until the topping is browned and fruit is bubbling.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment