Thursday, December 9, 2010

Low Fat Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup


So, apparently I'm going all Julie and Julia on you guys and cooking through Souper Jenny's cookbook.  I can't help myself, it's all so good!  Last night I made the "Low Fat Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup" and it was decadent.   Seriously.  If you like spinach and artichoke dip so much that you want to drink it, make this soup.  And top it with feta, and dip some bread in it.  You will love me for introducing this to you.


This is one of Souper Jenny's easiest soups to make in my opinion.  Half of the soup is frozen spinach, so you really don't have to do much prep work at all.  And although most of the ingredients are items you probably already have in your pantry, this soup packs a big vitamin punch with all of the veggies.  Don't worry though, it's hearty enough to please your man - John and our friend Charles who happened to stop by for dinner both loved it too.


Low Fat Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup
Recipe source: Souper Jenny Cooks
Serves 4 - 5


Ingredients:
olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
25 oz frozen chopped spinach (I used one 16 oz package and one 10 oz package)
8 oz can chopped artichokes
2 quarts vegetable broth
6 oz low fat cream cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta


Directions:
Heat oil over medium high and add chopped onion and garlic.  Saute for about 5 minutes.   Add frozen spinach, artichoke hearts, and vegetable broth.  Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes.  Cut cream cheese and add to soup.  Puree in a food processor in batches until well blended.  (You can also use an immersion blender).


Serve with crumbled feta on top.

1 comment:

  1. I just bookmarked this. Looks delicious. I love Souper Jenny.

    ReplyDelete