Saturday, December 11, 2010

Warm Artichoke and Green Onion Dip

I hope everyone's having a great, festive weekend!  I definitely am...just got back from the Nutcracker with my mom and some best friends, and am about to gear back up to go to John's firm's holiday party.  Last night we went to a holiday get together with good friends, and tomorrow I have a girl's lunch with some of my oldest friends...I really need to get better about taking my camera with me because I'm missing out on some great shots!


Naturally, with all of these seasonal get togethers, it does feel like all I've been doing is eating and drinking like crazy lately - which is both fun and completely overwhelming.  You know what I mean?  I don't want to miss out on anything, so I keep reminding myself 'tis the season!  January will roll around before we know it...






That being said, I had a great dinner at my friend Bridgette's house on Thursday night.  She made vegetarian chili, and we had the best cornbread (I hope to be blogging about that soon after I make it!) and a nice salad.  I was in charge of the appetizer and brought this warm artichoke and green onion dip that I also made for Thanksgiving.  It's a great crowd pleaser and I think the addition of fresh thyme and green onions really brighten it up and take it a step above the traditional baked artichoke dip.  I'm a big proponent of using fresh herbs in any recipes to enhance the flavor without adding a lot of fat.  


I think this will become one of my go-to appetizer recipes because (1) of how great it tastes, and (2) how easy it is to make!  I got the recipe from The Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook, which is an awesome source for easy recipes that always impress.






Warm Artichoke and Green Onion Dip
Recipe Source: The Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook
Serves 8


Ingredients:
2 14 oz cans water packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cups mayonaise
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese (I used a bag of the shredded kind)
1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Triscuits, Wheat Thins, or bagel chips for serving


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Combine the artichoke hearts, mayo, 1 cup of the cheese, 1/3 cup green onions, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.  Stir well.  Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (the recipe says to an 8 oz square baking dish, I used a smaller round dish).  Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.  Cover and bake until heated through, about 25 minutes.  Turn on broiler and cook until the top is bubbly and golden brown (about 3 minutes).  Garnish with the remaining green onions (I forgot this part!) and serve with chips or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment