Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer Corn Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Tomatoes

I hate that I have neglected my poor little blog this summer. I feel like I constantly post about how busy things have been, and unfortunately the month of August has been no different. I find that I'm so overloaded with work and personal stuff that I don't have the energy that I'd like to put into finding new recipes to cook, baking, or writing. It's something I'm really working on changing because ultimately it's what makes me happiest. So bear with me as I work on finding balance and devoting more time to creativity in the kitchen and on the blog. I feel strongly that I can minimize the stress I've been going through if I can just find the focus that I need.

Although I complain about being too busy, my summer has been filled with fun. We've been in town almost every weekend which has given us time to see lots of friends and family. And when we do have the rare chance to plan a meal and cook, nine times out of ten it's on the grill. Although it's been hot as hell in Atlanta, I'm embracing the last 6 weeks or so of easy grilled dinners and minimal use of the stove and oven.

Several weeks ago we had a simple dinner of grilled chicken, roasted fingerling potatoes, and this tasty corn salad. Perfectly sweet and salty, this dish also has an added boost of protein from the chickpeas. The feta cheese is a really nice compliment to the corn and tomatoes, and fresh basil makes anything taste summery in my opinion!

Summer Corn Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Tomatoes
Serves 2

Ingredients:
3 ears of corn, shucked
10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/3 cup feta cheese
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chickpeas
1/3 cup chopped basil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
sea salt
pepper

Directions:
Rub a small amount of olive oil over corn. Season with salt and pepper and wrap in tin foil. Grill over medium heat for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from tin foil and place back on the grill to get a nice char (about 2 minutes). Remove, cool slightly, and cut corn off the cob.

Then, just combine the corn with the rest of the ingredients. Serve immediately, or let sit for several hours. It's as easy as that, which is what makes this dish a perfect summer side.

As always, thanks for reading! Enjoy the remaining weeks of summer!

1 comment:

  1. so glad to see a new post with a great looking recipe! i'll definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete