Monday, September 20, 2010

Coconut Curry Stir Fry


Tonight I wanted to make a stir fry to use up a bunch of veggies we had in the fridge.  We've ordered a lot of curries from our favorite Thai restaurant, Mint, recently and as a result I've been on a huge curry kick...there are so many different types I still want to try but right now I think my favorite is green curry.  It's so fresh and gives you that clean, wasabi-nose feeling if ya know what I mean :-) 

I didn't have green curry powder but I did have a mild, yellow curry powder that worked really well with this dish.  I mixed it with a can of coconut milk (which should be included in your list of pantry staples if it's not already - it's so versatile and can really make a clean-out-the-pantry dinner taste like it came from an actual recipe), some agave nectar, soy sauce, and a fresh squeezed lime to create a flavorful, sweet and smoky sauce.  



The recipe couldn't be easier and I'll definitely be making it again!  Try it out next time you want to up your veggie intake but still feel like you're eating comfort food.  (Speaking of comfort food, I've got a batch of flourless peanut butter cookies in the oven - I'll let you know how they turn out!)  

Coconut Curry Stir Fry
Serves 4
Ingredients:

For the sauce:
1 can coconut milk
1.5 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 cup soy sauce
1.5 tablespoons agave nectar
juice of one lime

For the stir fry:
1/2 onion, diced
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
approx 4 cups of veggies of your choice (I used mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots)
1 piece chicken breast
1/2 cup fresh basil, cut 
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix together the coconut milk, curry powder, soy sauce, agave nectar, and lime juice and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil on medium high heat.  When hot, add onion and saute for 5-6 minutes.  Add garlic.  Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces, season with salt and pepper, and add to saute pan.

Once the chicken is cooked on the outside, add the veggies, a little more salt and pepper, and a little more oil if needed.  Cook on medium high for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. 

Once the veggies are cooked to the desired degree, pour the coconut curry mixture in the pan until heated through.  Top with fresh basil and serve immediately over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment