Saturday, January 8, 2011

Black Bean and Avocado Enchiladas


Good morning and happy Saturday! How was your week? I have to say my first week back after the holidays was really nice. I didn't make any plans on purpose and was able to chill at home, work out every day (except Thursday), and cook healthy meals. Love that!


Wednesday I made these black bean and avocado enchiladas based on what I had in the pantry/fridge/freezer. There are so many times when I tell John "it's amazing what you can put together when it feels like you have 'nothing to eat'" just by being creative with pantry items. These turned out great and are loosely based on another Eat, Drink and Be Vegan recipe (she has one for pinto bean and avocado enchiladas that have some different ingredients in the seasoning than these do that I've made before). These are always so good no matter how you make them, and super easy.  I'll post the recipe at the bottom of this page!
Thursday was another pantry meal - I'll call this orzo casserole. It was pretty good for just throwing a bunch of stuff in a pan, cooking, and then baking it for 15 minutes! This was whole wheat orzo, tossed with sauteed onions, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, and spaghetti sauce.  Topped with an Italian cheese blend and baked for 15 minutes at 400.
Now I'm up early trying unsuccessfully to buy Widespread Panic tickets, and getting ready to go see the Dali exhibit at the High Musueum. Its last day is tomorrow so I bet it will be packed!  

What do you guys have going on this weekend? We are being totally chill.  I am going to a bachelorette party in Austin, TX next weekend so am saving all of my energy for that :-)  Atlanta is supposed to get hit with 4-6 inches of snow late Sunday night and into Monday, I cannot wait! Horray for being snowed in...again!


Black Bean and Avocado Enchiladas
Serves 2
Ingredients:
6 corn tortillas
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 orange bell pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 avocados, chopped
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
juice of 1 lime
1 jar prepared enchilada sauce
1/2 - 3/4 cup white cheddar cheese 


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Heat olive oil over medium high.  Saute the onion, garlic, and peppers and season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.  Once the onion/pepper mixture is cooked, (about 7-8 minutes), add the black beans, cashews, and lime juice and toss to coat.   Remove from heat.  


Meanwhile, mash the avocado with some sea salt in a medium bowl.  Add the veggie/bean mixture and toss lightly.


Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.  Pour 1/2 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish.  Assemble the enchiladas by spooning about 1/4 cup of the bean/veggie mixture into a tortilla and rolling up.  Line on the casserole and top with the remaining enchilada sauce.  Top with cheese and bake covered for 15 minutes.  Remove aluminum foil and bake for 6-7 more minutes.  Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt and fresh cilantro.







3 comments:

  1. I really hope I get a snow day. Although rumor has it that they never close my office.

    Enjoy the Dali exhibit. I went in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw the Dali exhibit while we were in Atlanta over Christmas. He was an interesting man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe the weather this year! It is out of control. I believe we're supposed to do just get rain or a rainy mix in Charleston...still nuts. These look incredible! There is nothing like good Mexican at home. Beautiful work ;)

    ReplyDelete