Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sun-Dried Tomato, Pea, and White Cheddar Frittata




I spent the past 3 days in Chicago for work.  I go every summer and always love escaping the heat of Atlanta for a few days.  It's definitely a "work hard, play hard" atmosphere and I always enjoy really good food with clients and co-workers while there.  This year was no different; I ate at Custom House (owned by the owner of Green Zebra, a well known vegetarian restaurant in the Windy City), Rockit (where I had the best truffle fries of my life), Cafe Spiaggia, and Harry Caray's, a tourist favorite but for good reason.  I came home so happy with my eats and also excited to make a homemade, healthy dinner!  


I don't know about you guys but John doesn't do a lot of grocery shopping.  I stock the fridge and he is happy to help with cooking (or just do it on his own).  This works well for me because I like to go to the grocery store!  Or shop in general.  But that's another story for another time.  When I come home from being out of town,  I always know that there's going to be some add-libbing in the kitchen going on, unless I make it to the store during the week.  Tonight was no different, but sometimes we end up with the most creative meals when we feel like we don't have much to choose from.


This frittata is nutritious, vegetarian, and filling.  The added flavor of fresh rosemary (from our herb garden) and richness of white Vermont Cheddar cheese really make it taste restaurant-quality.  I'm big on recipes that can be switched around based on what's in your fridge or pantry, and this one fits the bill.  Feel free to swap out the veggies, herbs, and cheese for what you have on hand.  Serve with a big side salad or in our case tonight, Israeli Couscous.


Sun-Dried Tomato, Pea, and White Cheddar Frittata
Serves 2-3


Ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
healthy pinch sea salt
freshly ground pepper
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 cup packed sun dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
3/4 cup white cheddar cheese, grated


Directions:
Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and garlic, and saute for about 6-7 minutes, or until translucent. 




Whisk eggs with milk, sea salt, and pepper.  




Add the peas and sun-dried tomatoes.  When the onion is cooked, pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook over medium for about 10 minutes, pulling the edges away from the pan every few minutes so the frittata does not stick to the pan.  Make sure you resist the urge to turn up the heat; otherwise, the bottom of the frittata will burn but you won't know it because the top won't be cooking yet.



After about 10 minutes, add the fresh rosemary and grated cheese.  




You can also add another pinch of sea salt on top.  Cook for another minute or two, and then place in the oven with the broiler on high.  Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the top is brown and bubbly.




Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes.  Flip upside down, cut with a pizza slicer, and serve.



Every time I make dinner with eggs, I say we should do it more often.  It's such an inexpensive way to buy organic protein in comparison to meat, and you can be so creative with the recipes.  


Do you stick with eggs for breakfast only, or use them in dinner recipes too?  I actually don't really like eggs in the morning - I always wake up wanting something on the sweeter, not savory, side.

No comments:

Post a Comment