Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Corn Muffins with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Garlic (The Best Cornbread I've Ever Made!)


You guys have seriously got to try this recipe.  Calling them something as simple as corn muffins doesn't even do them justice because they are totally on a different level.  


These muffins are made with buttermilk and sour cream (I used reduced fat) - that being said, the ingredient list isn't so horrible that you feel guilty eating a few either.   While the sour cream and buttermilk makes these muffins very dense and moist, the addition of sun dried tomatoes and corn takes them up a notch for sure.  I think next time I might try adding bacon bits or chives instead of the sun dried tomatoes and see how they turn out!


I remember making these for the first time probably 5 years ago.  I had my family over for chili and made these on the side.  My mom emailed me first thing the next morning and demanded I give her the recipe!   Turns out it's from an old episode of the now defunct Everyday Italian - this was so long ago that I had apparently written down the recipe while watching the show.  I went on the Food Network's website to print out the recipe and couldn't even find it there anymore.  So I relied on my chicken scratch on a recipe card (blast from the past!) to recreate these!


The recipe makes 12 very large corn muffins; I made a batch on Sunday and froze half <------makes me really happy knowing that next time we make chili or soup I can reach in the freezer and pull one of these out!






Corn Muffins with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Garlic
Serves 12
Recipe Source: Everyday Italian


Ingredients:
2 boxes corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
2 cups corn
2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, whisked
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup sour cream


Directions:


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.


In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together (corn muffin mix, corn, sun dried tomatoes, garlic).  In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream until well combined.  Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined, but do not overmix.


Let the mixture stand for about 3-4 minutes, then place into prepared muffin tins.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.





No comments:

Post a Comment