Thursday, November 10, 2011

Goop Fish Tacos

When we were driving home from the mountains on Sunday, we passed a Mexican restaurant and it immediately sparked my craving for Mexican food.  I told John that we had to have fish tacos this week and he completely agreed!  I remembered making a fish taco recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's blog, Goop, back in May for a large group that were a big hit and knew that I wanted John to try them too! 
By the way, tacos are the hardest food ever to photograph...just saying...

You can use any flaky white fish you'd like - I chose tilapia because it's a lot less expensive than halibut, what the recipe calls for.  I think next time I might try something with a little bit more flavor though, since I only purchased 1/2 a pound for the two of us.

Regardless of what fish you use, these tacos are awesome - the sauce is what makes it so unique!  Here's what you need for the sauce - put it all together in a blender and go to town:

What's your favorite at home Mexican food?  Mine's definitely any version of enchiladas...which makes me want these now!

Goop Fish Tacos
Serves 8 (I halved the recipe)

Ingredients:
one bunch cilantro
juice of 5 limes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small white onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 jalapeno, roughly chopped (we kept the seeds in)
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
coarse salt
2 lbs white fish, any kind
1/2 cup white wine

Directions:


Comibine the cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika in a blender and add a pinch of sea salt.  Blend until smooth.  Set aside.

Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium high and add the fish.  Cook until brown, a few minutes on each side (cooking time depends on the fish itself).  Add the white wine and cook for another minute or so.  Pour the cilantro mixture into the pan and stir until all of the flavors are combined.  Serve immediately on corn or flour tortillas, with sour cream, cheese if desired, avocado, and/or pico de gallo.

2 comments:

  1. Tracy, I am loving your blog. So many healthy and yummy recipes! Can't wait to adopt a few into my rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound heavenly! I love fish tacos. Have you ever tried Swai? Kroger sells it, Publix unfortunately does not. It's very mild and even cheaper than tilapia, but it doesn't have more flavor--I'd say it's very similar to tilapia in flavor and texture.

    ReplyDelete