Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Whole wheat Asian noodles and shrimp

Pasta is definitely my go-to meal for something fast, easy, and (usually) healthy. So after making every variation of pasta with pesto and veggies, I decided to spice it up a little. This dish was inspired by a recipe in July's Cooking Light. I made their sauce (but left out their suggested oyster sauce) and the rest is my own!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup organic chicken broth
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin (I used rice vinegar)
1 teaspoon Siracha
1 package whole wheat spaghetti (I love Hodgson Mill brand)
Olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon pickled ginger
1/2 onion
8 oz shrimp
1 orange bell pepper
8 oz broccoli florets
1 cup frozen edamame
1/4 cup cilantro

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Meanwhile, cook pasta and drain.

Heat oil and add garlic in pan and add ginger. Once the garlic starts to brown, add the broth mixture, then add onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and edamame. Cook on medium for about 10 minutes. Add the frozen shrimp and cook until thoroughly heated.

Add back in the pasta and mix together. Top with chopped cilantro and enjoy!

Serves 4


3 comments:

  1. Looks good Tracy! Keep up the good work. Your recipes look right up Jen's alley and I'm sure she will be making plenty of them in the future. The more you post, the better I will be fed :) Congrats on getting the blog started!
    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the recipe in that issue of CL and thought how good it looked (minus oyster sauce...ew).

    Yours looks devine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for checking out the blog! Come back :-)

    ReplyDelete