Saturday, November 21, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sundried Tomatoes


I've made 5 loafs of this meatloaf in less than a week.  That's how good it is.


Let me explain.  No, John and I aren't eating for twelve, nor are we hoarding meatloaf.  We had two dinner parties in the past week, and this was such a hit for the first one that I figured why mess with a good thing?  I still had most of the ingredients on hand so what better way to simplify!  


I first saw this recipe on Giada DeLaurentis' At Home with Giada and had a feeling I would like it - I've never been a fan of traditional meatloaf - it's just, well, too much meat.  But this is just the right combination of light and hearty - guaranteed to please those with a lighter taste and their hungry husbands!


The recipe can be found here and is detailed below.  Don't be afraid to use all of the salt that it calls for - it's key in bringing out the flavor.  Also - I have made this before with skim milk but went for it with the whole milk since we were having guests and I do think it makes a difference in the moistness (is that a word?) of the meat loaf.  It's only 2 tablespoons so just go for it.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tablespoons whole milk
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground dark turkey (I used the 85/15 dark/white blend)


Directions:


Combine all ingredients except for the turkey into a large bowl.  Stir in the turkey and combine with seasonings.  Place mixture in a 9 x 5 loaf and place in a 375 degree heated oven.  Bake for about 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes, or until a lot of the moisture is absorbed.  Cut into slices and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment