Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins



I am a little behind the blog world times with my first pumpkin recipe of the fall but don't worry - there are more to come!  I got an extra large can of Libby's and it's already stretched me through a batch of these muffins, a batch of cookies, and there's still more left!  


We recently had some friends over for dinner and actually served these in the place of traditional rolls.  They went really well with dinner but could also be eaten for dessert (maybe I know this because I ate two the next morning)!


I originally found a Gourmet recipe and bought all of the ingredients except buttermilk; by the time I got home there was no way I was going back to the store!  John offered to go for me but I figured this was not life or death, so I tweaked it a little bit by adding vegetable oil.  These turned out fantastic and very moist but I'd love to try them again with buttermilk and see which taste better.


Ingredients
1.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1.25 plus 1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup golden raisins 


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin liners.  


Whisk together flour and baking powder.


Combine pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil, pumpkin pie spice, 1.25 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.   Once well combined, mix in flour mixture.  Then add in the raisins until just combined.  Stir together the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.


Pour the batter into 12 muffin cups.  Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes and let cool completely.  These stay well in an air tight container and also freeze well.  (I froze these for a few days before serving them).


Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment