Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chicken Korma

I used to hate ethnic food, probably up until I graduated college.  Then, all of a sudden the flood gates opened and within a matter of weeks I became obsessed - first with sushi, then Thai, now it's Indian food.  I just love how different it is in comparison to the usual grilled chicken-salad-and rice/cous cous/orzo combo that we have weekly, March through October.  John and I live off of Buford Highway, a major source of Atlanta's best authentic ethnic restaurants, and are trying to hit more hole-in-the-walls.  However, this guy has been distracting us recently, so I decided to bring the international vibe into our home this week.

I first cooked a variation of Chicken Korma about a year ago - a recipe I found on Zesty Cook  (found here).  It was SO delicious but pre-blog days, so I only have my memory on that one.  I've been meaning to try it again recently, and after a few weeks of NO structure and/or cooking due to the new pup, I decided it was time to hammer down and start trying some new recipes again.  Enter, once again, The World at Our Table.  I found a recipe for Chicken Korma in the Chiles, Curries, Casseroles, and Stews section and am so glad I made it!  

Speaking of food - my marathon appetite is in full force this week.  I've been a bottomless pit and all I want is carbs!  I ran 18 miles on Saturday and it was probably my toughest run yet.  The first 10 miles were non-eventful, the next 5 I was distracted because I had picked John up at that point, but the last 3 - 4 were painful.  I'd say 85% of that pain was centrally located the other 15% was due to the fact that I didn't properly fuel for my run - greasy pizza and 3 glasses of red aren't the best idea the night before an 8 a.m. 3 hour run.   I came home exhausted, dizzy, and limping.  Consequently, I have not run once since Saturday - and am scheduled to do 14 miles this Saturday!  One part of me is really mad about it, but I also feel like my knees really needing this week of rest and I can just jump back on the training schedule this weekend.  After all, I still have a month until D-Day.  

Anyway - back to the Chicken Korma.  The recipe was really simple - it requires a few different ingredients than the average pantry staples, but they're well worth the investment if you plan on making any Asian/Indian food in the future.  So get yourself in the kitchen and enjoy!

Chicken Korma
Recipe Source: Adapted from The World at Our Table

8 oz plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
salt to taste
4 thin cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1-inch cinnamon stick
sprinkles of ground cloves (recipe calls for 2 whole cloves but I didn't have it)
2 whole black peppercorns
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, diced

 Combine first 8 ingredients and use to marinate chicken for 4 hours or overnight (I did for about 7 hours).

Heat oil in a saucepan and add cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns.  Saute for 1 minute.  Add onion slices and cook for about 10 minutes.  Add the chicken and yogurt sauce and stir constantly.  When the chicken is almost cooked, add 1/4 cup hot water and simmer over low/medium heat for 10 minutes.  Then, let simmer until you are ready to serve.  Serve over brown rice and/or with naan bread (I really wanted to make this but you know the drill - oven is broken!).

The recipe says it serves 4 - 6...but it served the two of us, and John's leftovers the next day.  I'd definitely double this if you were cooking for more than 2 - 3 people!


  1. This looks great! I love cooking ethnic foods at home. I will have to give this a try.

    Sam is ridiculously cute. You're really making us want another one! :)

    I think you're smart to listen to your body and not run if your knees have been bothering you. Like you said, you still have a month until race day and you want to be strong and injury free on that day!

  2. OMG your puppy is the cutest thing.

    Have you ever been to Panahar on Buford Highway? It's Bangladeshi food which is similar to Indian. Definitely recommend it if you haven't been.