Thursday, March 10, 2011

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken

When I heard it was going to be torrential downpours all day yesterday I knew I was not going to want to cook. Isn't that weird? Like what does cooking have to do with rain unless you're outside grilling? Regardless, I thought that with the end of winter thisclose I'd break out the old crock pot and make something easy and comforting to come home to. This also gave me time to hit the gym after work (I am more of morning worker outer these days) and do an really hard strength training exercise and run 3 miles. When I walked in the door, dinner was practically ready - it was awesome! John and I both agreed that we want to start making one crock pot meal a week. It makes having a hearty, home cooked weeknight meal so much easier!

I basically made this "recipe" up - it's not rocket science. After seeing salsa chicken several times on Julie's blog and making it about a month ago, I knew I wanted to do something along those lines. So here's what I threw in the crock pot: one can of black beans, 1/2 chopped onion, a sprinkle of chili powder, a can of salsa, 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, and 2 organic chicken breasts. Give it a stir and let that baby cook on low all day. When I got home from the gym I put John to work - he shredded the chicken, mixed in two blobs of sour cream, and we were good to go! He had his on top of rice, I had mine without it.  Served with a spoonful of Greek yogurt, some chopped green onions, and chopped cilantro.
We have plenty of leftovers - I think it would be great in enchiladas or taco salads later in the week. John dominates all leftovers in our house so I have no fear that this will get eaten up!

Do you guys use your slow cookers? And do you like leftovers? I'm on the fence on leftovers - they're never the first thing I want, but I hate wasting money so if they're hanging out in the fridge I'll do it.

2 comments:

  1. I like leftovers the next day for lunch but if there is more left over after that, I get sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the slow cooker, but I don't use it much. I need to get a good cookbook for some creative new ideas. I hate leftovers, but I am like you and don't want to waste money so I use eat them for lunch at work. If I plan on it for dinner it will never happen!

    ReplyDelete