Friday, June 17, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

I've got a cookie recipe for you this Friday that is (relatively) healthy! Made with the classic peanut butter and chocolate combination, these don't contain any butter and are also made with half whole wheat flour/half white flour. But the addition of sea salt, which I seem to be putting in everything lately, is what takes these cookies to a different level. Let me tell you, these have not lasted long in our house. After we ate a few freshly baked cookies, I tried to preserve some self control by freezing them, but then John and I decided that we like them better straight out of the freezer. What gives?


I haven't been able to exercise as much as I like to due to a pulled hamstring that's been bothering me for 10 weeks now. It's making me crazy - I've tried rest, ice, ibuprofein, and last week, a deep tissue massage (NOT fun by the way) but nothing is helping. So I've stopped running, spinning, and even backed off walking as much as I normally do (usually do 2ish miles a day with Sam). I'm. Going. Nuts. If anyone has cardio suggestions that doesn't aggrivate your hamstring please share!


Needless to say, not exercising isn't the best time to have a bunch of cookies in your house, so this morning I sent the rest of these to work with John. Take that, hamstring.




Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 2 - 2 1/2 dozen
Recipe source: Loosely adapted from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan (These are not vegan due to the egg)


Ingredients:
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup peanut butter


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, chocolate chips, salt, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir until combined.


In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup, vanilla, oil, and egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until well combined.


Stir in the peanut butter but do not overmix, so that the peanut butter leaves swirls in the batter.


Scoop rounded tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment