Thursday, June 23, 2011

Easy Blueberry Cobbler


This blueberry cobbler is turning into a recipe that my family requests every time we have a summer get together! I think I first made it last year for Father's Day or my dad's birthday (my dad loves blueberries) and I've made it 3 or 4 times since then. The recipe is super easy and can be adapted to add whatever summer berry or fruit you have on hand. Next time I want to try it with peaches! Blueberries were on major sale this week so that's what went in it this time.

I brought it to my parents house this past weekend as we celebrated Father's Day. The recipe says it serves 8, but after 4 of us dug through the dish, there were probably only 1-2 servings left :-) Does this ever happen to you guys?

I look forward to making this many more times throughout the summer; however, while I was sitting in the dr.'s office yesterday (for my hamstring - turns out I have tendinitis) I read an issue of Eating Well magazine and found a huge section devoted to baking with summer berries. This month's issue has big red raspberries on the cover - if you see it be sure to pick it up, because it was jam packed with mouth watering desserts! I'm going to search for it this weekend for sure.


And lastly, I had to share a few pictures - John and I went to the Peachtree Road Farmer's Market on Saturday.  It was so cool - I can't believe it's only 10 minutes away and we'd never been before.  We came home with lots of fresh and local produce including cheese, French Sourdough bread, beets, kale, and lettuce.  The lettuce was the best tasting I've ever had.  Sunday night I made a dinner revolving around all of our local ingredients - a farm salad with local lettuce, beets, cheese, and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, as well as the fresh bread with a dipping sauce of olive oil and rosemary from our herb garden.  I'd love to make this a Sunday tradition!



No photos of the salad because I left my camera at my parents' house.  


Okay, I digress.  Here's the cobbler recipe - let me know if you've got any great summer desserts I should try!

Blueberry Cobbler
Recipe Source: True Grits - Tall Tales and Recipes from the New South
Serves 6 hungry or 8 normal people :)

Ingredients:
2 pints fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 6x10 baking dish with cooking spray and add the blueberries to the pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and egg with a fork (will be crumbly). Sprinkle over the blueberries, and drizzle with the butter. Sprinkle the top with a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or just until golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve with a generous portion of vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment