Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas




We I make enchiladas more than any other dinner you'll see on this blog.  They usually make an appearance every 3 weeks or so, and more often are a variation of these bean and avocado enchiladas.  John and I both love them because they're easy (me), inexpensive, filling (John) and I try to convince myself they're healthy if you go easy on the cheese.  

Recently I started reading a new (to me - definitely not to the blog world) blog - How Sweet It Is.  Like every time I find a blog that I love, I've spent hours going through the archives and absolutely love Jessica's photos, recipe, and hilarious writing style.  Definitely check it out if you haven't already!

I stumbled upon these buffalo chicken enchiladas and knew I had to make them...now.  I made some changes to the recipe so will post the way I made them below; head over to How Sweet It Is for the original recipe.

One thing I did that made the chicken extra tasty was just to make it in the crock pot.  I salt and peppered 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, placed them in the crock pot with half a bottle of Texas Pete buffalo wing sauce, and cooked on low for about 6 hours.  I shredded it with a fork, mixed in a handful of green onions and cheddar cheese, and used that as part of my filling.  The rest of the filling was...wait for it...guacamole.  Oh yes!  I had some in the fridge so placed a spoonful of guac in each corn tortilla before filling with the chicken mixture.  It added a delicious layer of creaminess.  You could certainly make these without guac but if you happen to have some avocados in your fridge, give it a try.



Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 bottle of buffalo sauce
3/4 cup shredded cheese - I used cheddar because it's what we had in the fridge
2 green onions, chopped
6-8 corn tortillas 
1/2 cup prepared guacamole or mashed avocados
1 can medium heat enchilada sauce
handful of fresh cilantro
1/8 cup gorgonzola cheese
sour cream (optional)

Directions:
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a crock pot.  Cover with about 1/3 - 1/2 a bottle of buffalo wing sauce and cook on low for about 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with a fork, adding more wing sauce if necessary.  Place in a bowl and add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, and 1 chopped green onion.  Set aside.

Mix the enchilada sauce with 1/4 cup of the remaining buffalo sauce in a medium bowl.  Pour half of the mixture in the dish you plan on baking the enchiladas.  Begin filling the corn tortillas with one spoonful of guacamole and the chicken mixture.  Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish.  Once all tortillas are filled, pour the remaining enchilada sauce mixture on top.  Sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese and remaining green onions. and bake for about 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and garnish with gorgonzola cheese and cilantro.  Serve immediately, topping enchiladas with a dollop of sour cream if you want.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Um... yum! These look/sound delicious. Will have to try these ASAP!

    ReplyDelete