Monday, December 19, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies



Growing up, my favorite ice cream was always mint chocolate chip.  My dad would take my brother and me to Baskin Robbins after dinner all the time during the summer, and without fail I'd get a double scoop of mint chocolate chip in a cone.  I still love the classic combination of mint and chocolate, especially this time of year.  So when I saw some Nestle mint chocolate chips at Target I impulsively threw them in my cart.  I've already gone back and bought more.

I made these cookies for a volunteer day last Monday - as I've mentioned in the past, my mom volunteers for Fugees Family - a great organization here in Atlanta that provides education and organized soccer programs for children of war torn countries.  They are growing quickly and were recently featured on CBS Sunday Morning program.  I was so proud!  

I will probably make these one more time before Christmas if I can find the time.  I know I won't want mint chocolate anything come January so might as well getter done while there's a few weeks of indulgence left!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe Source: Two Peas and Their Pod
Makes 3 dozen

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg (original recipe did not call for an egg but I added one)
1/3 cup milk
1 bag mint chip cookies

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.   In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt and set aside.  In an electric stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high until well combined.  Add the vanilla and beat until smooth.  Slowly add in the flour mixture in batches, add the milk in between, and combine well.  Stir in the bag of chocolate chips.  Refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 days.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Scoop the dough in tablespoon size pieces and press down slightly.  Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until done.  Let the cookies cool completely on the cookie sheet.  Enjoy with a big glass of milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment