Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oven Roasted Potato "Chips"


Let's talk about potatoes.  Every time I eat them, I think that I should make more potatoes.  But for some reason I rarely buy them when I'm at the grocery store.  They just seem so boring, sitting there, all brown and lumpy.  But inevitably, when I do pick them up, I'm always surprised by how fun it is to make them and how good they are!

My friend Blair made these roasted potatoes for us a few months ago and I knew I had to recreate them.  I usually cut new potatoes into quarters and roast in big chunks.  The trick with these; however, is to slice the potatoes very thin - probably 1/4 inch or thinner.  Toss generously in olive oil, season as you like (I used sea salt, pepper, and cumin) and bake for a long time - like 45 minutes or so.  You want to wait until they get really brown - you might even burn a few but that's ok.  It just means the rest of them will turn out majorly crispy and crunchy and you can feel like you're eating potato chips but they're healthier because they're homemade and because you told yourself they are.

We had these with seared tuna and asparagus.  I made a bunch thinking we'd have leftovers but I'm ashamed proud to admit that we polished off the whole batch in one night.  For a fun twist you could serve these with a dipping sauce, like honey mustard or blue cheese dressing.  Or ranch.  Because what wouldn't taste better with ranch?


Oven Roasted Potato "Chips"
Serves 4 

Ingredients:
4 - 6 large yukon gold potatoes
olive oil, sea salt, pepper, seasonings of your choice (could use garlic, cumin, chili powder, etc).

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Toss the potatoes in olive oil, season heavily with sea salt and pepper and other spices if you choose.

Lay out on a foil lined baking dish and do not overlap.  Bake for about 40 - 45 minutes, or until potatoes are extra crispy.  Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment