Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Spinach Quiche



Okay.  I know I've posted about quiche plenty of times before, but if you are not making it as part of your dinner routine trust me when I say you are missing out!  I'm not a big breakfast/brunch person (sorry Lindsay!), but I do like eggs, so I really enjoy having them the base of my dinner from time to time.  Whenever we go through a stage of wanting to clean out our fridge, freezer, or even pantry, you can bet that a quiche is going to show up on the menu sooner or later.  And since I'm currently cursing myself for being a hoarder spender bargain hunter who can't turn down a deal, we've been faced with a week where I'm swearing not to go to the grocery store because we've got to eat through what we have.


So.  This quiche happened.  And John and I both proclaimed it was the best quiche ever.  The ingredient that changed it all?  Frozen spinach.  It gives you so much more volume, let alone bang for your buck.  In the past I've sauteed a few handfuls of spinach and thrown it in the quiche, but this go round I put a whole 10 oz package of frozen (defrosted) spinach in there and it made all the difference.  Granted, we are both veggie lovers, but the spinach to egg to cheese ratio really was perfect here.   Try it and let me know what you think!




Happy Wednesday!  Halfway through the week!  We have two holiday parties this weekend - I am soooo ready!  One's tacky and one's fancy!

Am I the only one who starts looking forward to the weekends on Wednesdays?


Do you ever use eggs in your dinner, or are they only breakfast food in your mind?







Spinach Quiche
Serves 4


Ingredients:
1 frozen pie crust, defrosted 
1 10 oz package frozen spinach
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 eggs
3/4 cup half and half
3/4 cup grated white cheddar cheese 
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Defrost the pie crust for about 10 minutes.   Pierce with a fork several times.  Bake for 10-12 minutes and remove from oven.


Defrost the frozen spinach and squeeze dry with a kitchen towel.  Set aside.


Chop the onion and garlic, and saute on medium high for 5-7 minutes in a little bit of olive oil.  Season with a little bit of sea salt and pepper.  


In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, half and half, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.  Add the spinach and cheese and mix well.  Pour directly into the pie crust and top with feta cheese.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes or up to room temperature.  Slice and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment