Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend Wrap up + a Baby Shower

My weekend was jam packed - I felt like I didn't sit down until about 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. It all started on Friday with the High Museum of Art's Wine Auction "Friday Fete," which was basically a cocktail attire 4 course dinner complete with wine pairings. John and I were lucky to be invited to go with some co-workers and had a really fun time! Lots of good food and wine for sure! I promise we meant to take a picture but were running out the door and completely forgot :-( Someday I will turn into a more serious blogger and remember to start documenting my life better!

Saturday was go-go-go - lots of cooking and cleaning with a small break for a mani pedi :-) We wanted to keep Saturday night low key so John and I hit up Houston's around eight o'clock and sat at the bar. We had such a good time! Sometimes it's more fun to sit up at the bar and people watch than it is to have a private table. I got the veggie burger (which I know is not gluten free but I wanted to test the waters, and was craving it) with french fries, and he got a new item on the menu, the ahi tuna burger. We left the restaurant with John claiming he had a new favorite item on Houstons' menu! I can't wait to order it soon. The gluten in the sandwich didn't seem to bother me too much (although I could definitely tell I ate something different) which gives me hopes that someday I'll be able to eat (or drink!) wheat in moderation.

Sunday was the big day - Lindsay's baby shower! I was so happy to throw a shower for my oldest friend - we met at the bus stop when we were 6 years old, and remained best friends through every walk of life since then. She was the maid of honor in my wedding, and I was her matron of honor. In June Lindsay and Brent will welcome baby Caroline into the world! I can't wait to spoil that little cutie!

Here are a few pictures from the day. We had about 20 people here and had so much fun catching up with old friends, learning some very exciting news about 2 friends in particular :-) (you know who you are!), eating, drinking, and checking out all of Sweet Caroline's new stuff! !!

My spread!
Dishes served included:
Orzo Salad with Lemon, Feta, and Pine Nuts <-------big hit with preggo Emily! :-)
 Mini oatmeal, cherry, and pistachio muffins - recipe coming soon!
Chicken salad (served with mini ciabatta buns):
 Tomato and mozzarella skewers:
 Spinach salad with blackberries, goat cheese, candied pecans, and a homemade dressing consisting of dijon mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil:
 Prosciutto wrapped asparagus:
Strawberry tart:
 Mini chocolate cupcakes with pink icing made by my mom!:
 Deborah Staveley's amazing meringues!  These were soooo good and a huge hit!
 Sweet treats for a sweet girl!
I served mimosas, pink lemonade (Lindsay's FAVORITE drink since we were little kids!), and cucumber water.  Finally got to use all of the crystal from our wedding!
 White wine!
 Lindsay and me: (doesn't she look good?!)
 Two preggo besties!
 Hot Grandmas!
 Kelly made this quilt for Caroline!  I love it!
 BFF's since elementary school.  I loooove these girls!

Phew!  What a weekend!  Now it's Monday night, I'm vegging on the couch and about to watch United States of Tara...I am so glad there's something on TV on Monday nights to watch again!  

Catch you tomorrow with a glimpse into my overflowing pantry and fridge and a {self imposed} challenge to eat through what we have!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful party Trace...you're the best hostess! Looking forward to recreating your Orzo Salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks beautiful and delicious, Tracy. I want to try that orzo.

    I think it's really special that you have all been friends for so long and are now seeing each other have babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This made me eat lunch early. The salad sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Fabulous shower Tracy you are a star! Everything looked beautiful & tasted delicious!

    ReplyDelete