Monday, April 11, 2011

Buffalo Shrimp Tacos

So we're still trucking through my challenge of cooking through our freezer, fridge, and pantry. I've only spent $37 in groceries since the last week in March and am powering through our ridiculous amount of food.  These buffalo shrimp tacos are what I made tonight and they were really good!  They were inspired by my usual order at Verde which is our Mexican go-to (more because of proximity than food if we're being honest).  They do have some badass margaritas though, which was the only thing missing from this meal.  Oh and a monster sized bag of tortilla chips and queso.  But that's ok, in 3 days I'll be back at the beach, so I think a little restraint is necessary.  Anyway...I digress.  Here's what went down with these tasty tacos - they'll definitely be repeated and put on the list of meals to make when I don't feel like I have anything in the house!

Handful of baby carrots, celery, 1/8 red onion, and greek yogurt all in the food processor to make a slaw.


 Shrimp (I usually keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the house) seasoned with salt, pepper, and cumin.  Cooked on medium high in canola oil and garlic, and then doused with buffalo sauce.

 The end result was these bad boys - topped with blue cheese and avocado.  
 So that's my exciting pantry meal of the day!  Not too shabby!


The rest of my night entailed taking Sam on a walk with John (before dinner), and now I'm chilling on the couch with some frozen yogurt.  I probably won't make it for too long - I slept horribly last night because Sam was sick (again - he's been sick several times this week).  Nothing like a 3:30 a.m. wake up call to clean up doggie poo.  I cancelled spin with Diana and slept an hour later til 6:20.  


Somehow I managed to power through Jillian before work but it was not.fun.!  So worth it though to get it over with in the morning.  I actually did all of level 2 and then about 8-10 minutes of level 3 before my arms felt like they were going to fall off and I called it quits!  My point in telling you this though is to discuss how I'm enjoying having a workout option at home.  Why I've never believed in using workout DVD's is beyond me - this stuff is no joke and has definitely helped me tone up over the past couple of months.  And I love how if I'm crunched for time, I can still get in a major sweat session and not have to drive to the gym.  


Do you ever work out at home?  If so what's your favorite at-home workout?


Is anyone else trying to clean out their pantries?  I had a few commenters saying they might try to!  Fess up!

3 comments:

  1. Which Jillian DVD do you have? I have her 30-Day Shred (??) and it's got 3 levels that get progressively harder. Even Level 1 is freaking hard. I used the DVD a lot before I was ready to take Kaden to the gym daycare, but now I cherish that hour of 'me-time' while Kaden spreads and receives all kinds of nasty germs in the daycare....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's the one I have too...it's so hard! But is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did P90X for a while last year. That was super hard, but in a good way. I think I should do it again.

    I hope Sam feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete