Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Strawberry Tart

The time of year when berries come into season is always so exciting to me - I can't usually justify the $5/pint price tag throughout the year, but from April - July, prices drop and berries are everywhere!  Since strawberries are in their peak season early in the spring, I decided to make a seasonal dessert for the baby shower I hosted last weekend, and consulted the guru of entertaining, Martha Stewart.  It was super easy  (partially because I took a short cut and used a pre-made crust), and the perfect sweet treat for a spring time lunch or dinner.  


You could do the right thing and make your own crust (Martha's recipe details how), or you could buy a pre-made crust, which is what I always do when I make pies.  I really do have intentions to learn to make pastry dough someday soon but every time the opportunity comes, I tend to focus more on the appetizers, mains, and sides, and run out of time!


Do you have any good recipes involving strawberries?  Link away!


Strawberry Tart
Recipe Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart
Serves 8


Ingredients:
1 premade pie crust
8 oz cream cheese (one package)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup seedless red currant jelly


Directions:
Prepare the crust according to package directions (or make your own!).  Bring cream cheese to room temperature.  In a medium bowl, blend the cream cheese and sugar with a hand mixer  until smooth.  Spread in the pie crust.  Starting on the outside edge, arrange the strawberry pieces in circles on top of the cream cheese.  


In a small saucepan, heat the jelly until it boils and stir quickly.  Drizzle over the tart, and refrigerate for 1 to 6 hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment